Are you looking for free/ low-cost (some more expensive) children & family events on around Cork city and county for midterm break?
Check out the list below for some ideas:
- Halloween Biscuit decorating- Marina market. These range in ages up to 8 years I have just added one link below but must register at link bellow:
- Lantern making with Artis Caoimhe Dunn – Killeagh. Adults (18+) €12.00+€1.85, Children (ages 5–17) €8.00+€1.55 Fee, Children (ages 0-4)
- Dragon of Shandon Parade-Dragon of Shandon – Home | 31st October starting on Church St. Poster
- Spike Island Spookfest Trail, ages 2+ Family ticket €59. “Get ready for a brand new spooktacular adventure that is like no other! Join us at Spike Island for the ultimate family-friendly Halloween event, The Spookfest Trail.
Bring your little goblins and witches and hop on board the fun ferry, before embarking on a fang-tastic adventure through the mysterious Spike Island, where you will find areas of the ancient fortress and prison transformed into a realm of Halloween spookiness! Along with their families, the little ones can trick or treat their way around the fortress with our brand new Halloween themed quiz trail – keep an eye out for our friendly tour guides who will be handing out sweet treats along the way!” Buy Spike Island Spookfest Trail Tickets online – Spike Island (digitickets.ie)
- Leap Scarecrow Festival| Leap Scarecrow Festival (squarespace.com) |
- Halloween Hop (Jazzy Dance Tutorial) but need to register at below link |The Pav, 13 Careys Lane, Cork, Ireland| Starlight entertainment invites you to a spooky sensational ‘Halloween Hop’ for kids and adults alike, where you’ll get to learn a ghoulishly good Halloween Dance! – during Jazz weekend with the wonderful Bronwyn Barry of BeU! Join us for an interactive class of tricks, treats and dancing feet as we celebrate the spooky season with music and movement to get in the Halloween mood! Taking place at The Pav, Carey’s lane, this class suits all ages, but ideally ages 5 upwards – and adults – and is sure to be frighteningly good fun, to merge the Jazz weekend with Halloween. Please note that there are stairs only access for this venue.
- Doneraile Park| Sun Oct 29 2023 at 03:00 pm to 05:00 pm – Kids Party Club – Puppet Show. A free kids event. 2 fun puppet shows along with magic tricks to keep your family entertained over the Halloween weekend.
Libraries- Just a few below for full list and to find your local library click here for more information
Cork city Library-
- October | Tuesday 31 | 11am – 1 pm | Colin O’Mahony & Mari Rolin, Graphic Artists | Join Colin and Mari to explore Character Creation and Design for Comics, for writers and artists aged 13+. Booking essential.
- November | Wednesday 1 | 2.30 pm – 4 pm | Story Making with Maria Gillen, Maria Gillen Makes Stories with Cork Children of all ages, passing an oral tradition on.
- November | Thursday 2, 9,16, 23, 30 | 10 am – 11 am | Storytime with Deirdre Ryan, Song story and Rhyme for Under 5’s – an opportunity for children to sing, play, learn and explore.
- November | Thursday 2 | 11 am | J.P. Quinn, Children’s author J.P. Quinn reads from the wonderful ecofriendly stories A Bee at UCC and a Tree at UCC.
- November| Friday 3 | 2 pm | Eve McDonnell. Author Eve McDonnell invites you to Let’s Go Wonderlarking – a fun search for the wonder and magic in nature. The Chestnut Roaster’s main character, Piaf, finds something special. Is it a leaf skeleton, or a map to a mysterious world? Aged 8-12 years. Booking Essential: Let’s Go Wonderlarking with Eve McDonnell Tickets, Fri 3 Nov 2023 at 14:00 | Eventbrite
- November | Saturday 4 | 11 am | Maria Quiros Pindado. Maria Jesús Quiros introduces Al Gets Lost in Spain to the very young.
- November | Saturday 4,11,18, 25 | 12 noon – 1 pm | Lego Time. Build, Build, Build! Get creative with LEGO suitable for children of all ages.
- October | Texaco Children’s Art Competition Exhibition in Hollyhill Library. Exhibition of the top 21 winning artworks from the 2022 Texaco Children’s Art Competition. Children of all ages and abilities are represented across the seven categories of the Competition. Come along and see the wonderful pieces of art for yourself!
- October | Wednesday 4 | 1 – 2 pm | Children’s Lunchtime Concert Music Generation and Musical Neighbourhood present musicians from the northside, performing a variety of songs and tunes!
- October | Wednesday 4, 11,18, 25 | 10.00 am | Story, song and rhyme followed by colouring. A fun and interactive session suitable for children up to 4 years of age. Supported by Let’s Grow Together, Deirdre Ryan and Hollyhill Library staff.
- October | Saturday 7, 14, 21 | 2.00 pm – 3.00 pm | Family fun time, Play jigsaws, connect four, board games, lego or colour with your child. Games provided.
- October | Saturday 7, 14, 21 | 12.30 pm – 1.30 pm | Teen trad group Presented by Club Ceoil Knocknaheeny. Sessions are free to join and open to teens of all abilities who already have a basic knowledge of playing an instrument. Booking essential. To book contact Jessie at or message 083 0916204.
Mayfield Library –
- October | All month | “Literally Lost in the Library” James O’Donnell’s Star Wars themed search-and-find activity featuring 15 literary and movie characters. See how many you can find and claim your (small) reward.
- October | All month | Halloween Colouring Bats, Brooms, Witches and Webs. Get your spooky blacks, purples and reds to colour in the season. Prizes for the most wicked!!
- October | Oct 13 to Nov 3 | EcoArt An exhibition of work by participants of EcoCamp and Biodiversity Printmaking Workshops held at the Mayfield Arts Centre.
- October | Wednesdays | 3.30 pm | Chess Academy Children’s chess club meets each Wednesday under the tutelage of expert volunteers.
- October | Friday 20, 27 | 11 am | Library Storytime Rhymes, Songs and Stories for a themed storytime suitable for children under age 6. Bring your parents along!
- October | Friday 27 | 11 am | Halloween Storytime Scary (but not too scary) storytime for the season that’s in it. We will have a pumpkin, a broom and dress-up very welcome.
- October & November | Wednesdays, | 10 am – 11.30 am | Toddler’s Group
- October & November| Wednesdays | 3.30 pm – 4.30 pm | Chess Club
- October | Saturdays | 2 pm – 3 pm | Lego Time. Come along and build amazing structures! Lego provided. All ages.